Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Tie That Binds

I wish all those relatives out there who have rejected their kin for being Transgender could meet my cousin Gary and his wife Barbara. Their kindness and generosity could not help but influence even the hardest heart.

I can’t remember the last time I saw Gary and Barbara; that is before my sister’s funeral last year. Gary hadn’t seen me as Billie up to that point. Not that it mattered. From the way he acted, you would think seeing his cousin dressed as a woman was an ordinary event! We didn’t have much time to chat about what had happened; we were there to honor my sister Kate, not talk about me. Before we parted, Gary said I was welcome to come visit him anytime.

I took him up on his offer as part of my Sabbatical and just finished a wonderful three day visit. Gary and Barbara put me up in the guest room and made me part of their lives. I posted some video of their lovely place. This time we had the time to chat about what I had been through, what my life had been like and answer some questions.

But more importantly, we connected as family. We reminisced over old times, shared new stories, got caught up on our kids and other kin and remembered those that have departed both recently and long ago. We sang songs we remember from our youth, Gary played a record he made for our Grandparents when he was six and I recounted a train ride to Bartlesville when I was eight. In every story, every memory, every smile, family provided the common reference, the string that held it all together.

I wonder if those that have rejected their Transgender relatives know how much they are actually paying. In their rejection, they cut the family tie and even if it is eventually restored, the damage and loss cannot be repaired. I cannot think of the thing that would cause me to reject my kin. I may not like everything I see, but love can still prevail.

Thank you Gary and Barbara for loving me, for inviting me to come visit and for showing me a wonderful time while I was there. You are the greatest!!

No comments:

Post a Comment