Monday, March 8, 2010

Food Fight!!

The original reason for starting this blog page has died a quiet death at my own hands; and that’s a good thing. Since the funeral, I’ve been wondering what to do with the thing, especially since I own this domain name across the known universe, with the possible exception of the Klingon Empire. Negotiations are ongoing.

A few days ago, I had an idea. (No it’s not the only one I have ever had, but this is one of the good ones.) I will use it to journal about the toughest battle I will ever fight. Where before I intended to share opinions, in this effort, I will share my life. Particularly, that part of my life pertaining to the final major hurdle to my happiness.

The technical name for it, appropriately I think, is Morbid Obesity. The not so technical names we all know, but to state the obvious, I am a very fat chick and need to change that for a number of reasons.

As with my life, this will be chaotic. I will write about what’s on my mind at the time. No time tables or set subject matter. One day you may see a simple progress report, another a story from my fat past, another a rant against society’s love affair with food. It won’t be for you, it will be for me, and thus I will be blunt and you will read things you may find distasteful. But I need to see them in all their pixel ugliness. In sharing I will accomplish two things; the first is I will come out of hiding and bare my last deep secrets and second, hopefully this will help someone else. It has the additional appeal, at least to me, that it is about a much different transision.

Let’s begin.

Today begins the second week of attempt number 18,615 to lose weight. I weighed in at 393 pounds. I lost 12 pounds last week. Before you get all excited, remember a gallon of water weighs 8 pounds and reducing Carbohydrates, at least in my body, results in constant peeing. Still 12 pounds is 12 pounds. I have a tendency to ignore the positive in exchange for a recitation of my past failures. And there are plenty of those. I worked hard last week to stay focused on the successes.

I weighed in on Day One at 405 pounds. I have weighed more. I decided in that first week to cap only one parameter and that was Carbohydrates at 110 grams a day. That’s 440 calories, roughly one-and-a-half Snickers bars. For someone who loves bagels, rolls, and sandwiches, that ain’t a lot of Carbs. I could eat whatever else I wanted and as much as I wanted as long as I held the Carbs down.

I held the line on Carbs and I ate plenty of whatever else I wanted; around 3,000 calories a day give or take, mostly fat calories. This week I am capping two parameters; Carbs at 125 grams and total calories at 2,500. I am holding down Carbs because I have ample evidence and experience to show that I have developed a resistance to my own insulin (Syndrome X.) If I keep my Carbs in check, my blood sugar tests well within “normal.” If I let the Carbs go, my blood sugar will test in the 110-115 range; so called “pre-diabetic” levels.

Enough for today. You won’t hurt my feelings if you don’t read this. As I said, it’s for me. I need a breakthrough; maybe this will be it.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I wanted you to know that I am reading... actually, I've just read all four March blogs in reverse order. ;-) And, although I may not be "morbidly obsese" (to use your phrase), I do understand the difficult battle you are waging. People who do not have "a weight problem" truly do NOT understand. I do not care what anyone says, it's not as simple as the well-toned chics in the workout ads say.

    So, watch your carbs, if that's what it takes. And lose the weight to improve your quality of life. But always keep in mind that your size and weight really do not define YOU, even though much of the time that's all you can think about. BTW, one super result from your blog...I'm getting ready to home and exercise, before Max and I enjoy a "light" supper. ;-)

    ReplyDelete