Thursday, March 11, 2010

Living to Eat

A food addiction is a most vicious addiction. I have heard from some of you that are fighting this same battle or have, so you know; this addiction is meaner than sin.

Most food addicts don’t look like they are struggling; their lives don’t show the debilitating effects some other addictions can manifest. The worst food addicts will be extremely overweight, may have trouble getting around and suffer obesity related illnesses like high blood pressure and diabetes. But many, many more food addicts adapt their lives and bodies for years, until suddenly, time runs out. Someday, I will share some of the ways I have adapted.

Recovery in many addictions is focused on abstinence. All the recovery energy is focused on one single point, do NOT have the first drink or puff or hit. Addiction is a lot like fat cells, once there, they can be diminished, but never eliminated. Just one experience is enough for most addicts to send them back into the dark abyss from which they worked so hard to extricate themselves. Just once. I can’t tell you how many times I have stood on the scale looking up from the bottom of the pit, bitter and hopeless. Having known the joy of success only to have returned by my own hubris was devastating. It’s by God’s grace I never used a bullet to solve the problem. Some do.

I imagine there are some addicts that can flirt with their “demon” and not succumb to their old habits. I don’t know any, though. As a smoker, I would toss out, tongue-in-cheek, that overused quip, “I can quit smoking; I’ve done it a thousand times.” All it took was one cigarette and I was back to two packs a day before I knew what hit me. I finally succeeded by walling off anything that had to do with smoking or smokes until I firmly established the ability to resist. For me, I was able to finally stand firm when the smell of cigarette smoke became unpleasant and its presence irritated my nose and throat. With lung cancer the primary killer in my family history, I may have added a number of years to my life. But to do it, I had to do whatever was necessary to keep tobacco from getting near me.

There have been a couple of times I have abstained from food for extended periods. Two or three times I have done ten-day fasts, consuming only water. Twice I did medically supervised Optifast plans where I did not eat solid food for the first 40 days. I drank 5, eight ounce “shakes” instead. When the 40 days was up, I drank four shakes a day and had one meal. My last Optifast experience, from early 2000 to mid-2001, I lost 185 pounds.

One of the reasons the efforts above eventually failed is that complete abstinence from food is not possible. Sooner or later we have to go back to the table. Imagine the alcoholic forced to have cocktails after work EVERY DAY, but not get drunk or the smoker required to have a SINGLE cigarette after sex. Food addicts are in the terrifying and contradictory position of having to court our death to stay alive.

Is it any wonder why so many diets fail?

No comments:

Post a Comment