Thursday, July 16, 2009

Thank You Dr. Becky

I had a routine visit with the doctor yesterday and he decided I needed to have some tests run. The first will be a colonoscopy. The doctor gave me a referral and they had an opening today for the preliminary visit.

I always feel a little apprehensive going to a new doctor; I have heard so many stories. Although it is still hard for me to believe, there is no denying that a few in the medical community are not happy to see us. I never quite know how to broach the topic that I am Trans; I even have the vain hope that I won't have to. And then there are the medical forms and all the questions; the one that always stops me dead in my tracks is, "when was your last menstrual cycle?" I leave that one blank.

The nurse practitioner came in and started going over my medical history and reviewing the forms. We went over the cancers in my family, my abdominal surgery and my medications; vitamins, low dose aspirin, acid blocker, blood pressure meds and hormones. Check, check, check. I took a deep breath, "There is one more thing that I should probably mention," I said. I took another deep breath, "I wasn't actually born a woman," I said.

The nurse didn't miss a beat. "Yes, I know," she said.
Before I could ask how in the world she knew, she continued. "The orchiectomy and the hormones were pretty much a dead giveaway."
"Duh!," I thought.
She went on, "The nice thing about your colon is that is doesn't care what gender you are. Everyone has a poop hole."

And then the world got very small. She said that a number of years ago as a young nurse, she worked for a Cardiologist that I may know and she asked if I had ever heard of Becky Allison. "Dr.Becky?" I said. "Of course" as a big smile lit up my face. "We're friends on Facebook!"

"Well, there ya go," she said. All of the sudden I felt right at home.

One never knows how you are going to touch someone's life and what fruit that touch will bear. Thank you Dr. Becky for your help today so many years ago.

Take Care,
Billie

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    A quick postscript. I checked with Dr. Becky and she did indeed know the nurce who treated me so well. It is a small world.

    Take Care out there.
    Billie

    ReplyDelete