Saturday, May 8, 2010

Edema Part 1 of 3

Due to the length of this piece, I will be posting it in three parts over the next three days.

Private note to my Evangelical friend with the Jewish Mother: I say this in my best imitation of the Prophets of old, “Stand fast and read these words with dread as they will open your eyes and behold, you will see your future.” (Well, maybe not the pedicure part, although I highly recommend it.) :)

A pedicure is one of the most luxurious experiences in the world. There is the usual treatment of trimming nails and removing calluses of course. But the full treatment includes a foot and calf massage, sea salt scrub, mint lotion with calves wrapped in hot towels, moisturizer rubdown and a paraffin treatment for the feet. For the price, there is nothing like it, and you have pretty feet and toes to show off in your summer sandals!

Who knew that a pedicure could be a diagnostic tool?

During my pedicure two weeks ago, I noticed my calves didn’t “jiggle” like calves do when you tap them from the outside of your leg. There was no movement at all, they were solid. I pressed on the skin and there was no “give;” as if I was pushing on the shin bone itself. Both of my lower legs were tight and firm as if they had somehow been filled with sand. No matter how hard I tried to relax the muscle, the result was the same.

This was troublesome. I have dealt with minor swelling in my feet for some time, but this was different; this was something I had not seen before. Still denial springs eternal. Perhaps it was temporary; perhaps it would go away in a couple of days. It didn’t, it got worse.

There was no pain, no itching. My feet weren’t blue or cold. But along the shin, the skin started getting red and tight enough that it shined like a bald man’s head. I started seeing bumps appear just below the calf muscles about two inches above my ankles, or what was left of them.

Then two of those bumps burst open and began leaking fluid. (I found out later the medical name for that fluid is serum.) If I pressed on the sore, the pressure would force more fluid out, leaving a small indentation. During the day the serum would creep down my ankle and dry into a clear crust that I would have to wipe off with wash cloth when I got home from work.

So yesterday I went to the doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment