Monday, May 10, 2010

Edema Part 3 of 3

The reduced circulation that causes edema also makes it harder for my body to fight infection, particularly on the skin. The bumps are apparently small, local infections caused by normally harmless bacteria typically found on the skin. Who knew they would turn out to be little opportunistic bastards; at the first chance they get, stabbing me in the back or leg as it were?

The strategy is to hunt down the treasonous little buggers with both a frontal assault and parachuting troops in behind their lines. The frontal assault is an antibiotic ointment applied topically three times a day. It’s thick and has a tacky feel once applied. It must be like one of those “humane” sticky traps for rodents that holds them in place, alive, until you have a chance to dispatch them somehow. I will have to wear dresses more often because my slacks stick to the medication.

To sneak up on the troublemakers from behind, a broad spectrum antibiotic was added to the mix. I will take this pill four times a day for ten days. I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one. I have been on so many antibiotics over the past 18 months, it’s anybody’s guess what is going to work. Hopefully whatever is responsible for the trouble down there won’t be able to mount a strong resistance.

The last medication is designed to aid in alleviating the root cause, too much weight. I have not been able to sustain a good food plan for more than a day or two. I have fallen into a horrible sedentary routine along with eating too much food, particularly in the evening. This pill is supposed to help with the food. It is an appetite suppressant. It is a stimulant. It is a psychological boost. It is a tool, a short term one at that. It’s worth a try.

As I write this, my dining table is covered with more pill bottles than you’d find in a small pharmacy. I have not mentioned the proton pump inhibitor I take, the nasal spray, the inhaler or the girl pills I take twice a day. There are also the vitamins and calcium. And nearly all of this is because I eat too much food. Food. I am not sick, I have no diseases, I simply eat too much. What's up with that?

Why is cracking this so difficult? I know what to do; I just have to do it. I see my future, likely a short one, laid out on the table in orange bottles with white caps. But is this finally enough? Have I reached the tipping point or will I simply adjust like I have in the past? Will I accommodate the addiction or annihilate it? In the dark when I am alone and the only sound is the hum of the refrigerator, I stand face to face with my choices and fear the only possible victory will be found in death. The dead don’t eat. Well…except for Zombies of course.

And just in case anyone takes this wrong, I don’t see suicide as a solution. Although it has the benefit of ending the overeating problem, it has a fatal flaw, literally. Any solution must also allow one to enjoy life being thin.

I can change this; I’ve beaten it before. I must change this.

In the meantime, perhaps I should take the stimulant and the diuretic in the afternoon instead of the morning. I may be up all night, but I’ll be too busy peeing to eat.

Take Care,
Billie

No comments:

Post a Comment