Saturday, May 29, 2010

Oh Where Have You Been Charming Billie

Before transition, I frequently isolated myself. There were a lot of reasons for that. I didn’t like the life I was forced to live and I was ashamed of my obese appearance and habits. I walled off the world whenever I could. I had no social life and apart from my children, no close relationships. One or two were closer than others, but no one, no one knew my heart. I promised myself that if I ever transitioned, I would tear down the walls and get a life.

But old habits die hard and so I seek comfortable surroundings when confronted with life’s truths, trials and trouble. There are no happy endings, just happy moments; moments that are all too fleeting and endlessly stalked by the next failure, the next betrayal or the next disappointment. Delight is smothered by the shadow of something waiting to destroy my joy, break my resolve and send me running for sanctuary.

Thus I have spent a lot of time this year in an alternate world. I do what must be done in this world then travel to another place where time doesn’t matter, deadlines don’t exist and dealing with the ugliness can always wait one more day. I drop my purse and computer bag on the couch. I walk by days of dirty dishes, weeks of dirty laundry, unopened mail and overflowing trash cans. I ignore the flashing light on the phone, the looming health issues and a solid start on the food plan. I rush to the portal, jack-in and in moments I am gone.

In this alternate world I am a forensic archeologist using my scientific talents to solve murders and resist my attraction to the FBI agent I work with. I am a brilliant structural engineer breaking my innocent brother out of prison. I am a quirky New York Police Detective solving major cases. I am a recovered coma victim that with one touch can see your future or something in your past. I am young genius who discovers how to stabilize the "Einstein-Rosen-Podolsky bridge” so I can “slide” to alternate Earths. I am anything I want to be, can do anything I need to do and sooner or later, I always triumph.

In the morning I awake having traveled back sometime in the night. I am tired and groggy and smashed to pieces. I sigh deeply, “Shit.” The tears well up. Through the haze I see the remnants of last night’s journey; the consequences piled atop the crushing weight of all those other tasks left undone. I want to go back, but I can’t. I cry as fear lays over me as surely as my blanket. A thousand ticks tocked last night, little bits of my life redeemable only in this world, worthless where I’ve been, thrown away; bits taken from a finite reservoir whose depth is known to no one. And so each morning goes, wondering if the road will end before the journey does.

I have to pee. I kick off the blanket and wrench myself out of bed. In the bathroom I stand only inches from the mirror. The tears have washed my eyes to a brilliant blue and my cheeks are rosy red. I rub the sleep from my eyes and just stare. “You have great skin; I’ll give you that much girl.”

Hope’s a funny thing.

Take Care,
Billie

1 comment:

  1. Dearest Billie,

    How is it that you can take the very thoughts from my head and bring them to life with the written word?

    How much of my own life has been whiled away with books, television and, God help me, online games, all tearing away at my life a moment at a time. I dare not add them up. Sometimes, we need sanctuary, sometimes it is all we have. I guess the trick is not getting stuck there. Easier said than done.

    I have allowed my failures to haunt me for too long as well. I don't know what keeps me going from one day to the next. I drag myself up every morning, often cursing my maker for letting me wake at all, but somehow I keep moving.

    I allowed, what I viewed as a terrible betrayal, to drive me away from the trans community and from some wonderful people. For better or worse I am surviving out here without that support, but not always easily.

    The 'real' world is hard and cold and full of pain, but there is good to be found as well. I have been living life perilously close to the edge for a very long time and it has taken it's toll, but maybe it has given me something in return; the strength to carry on a little farther in this crazy journey.

    In one thing you are quite correct my friend, hope is a very funny thing. :)

    Please feel free to call or write me anytime. I may not be worth much, but I can still listen and I have a good shoulder for crying on, two in fact.

    Your friend,
    Jennifer W.

    ReplyDelete